Friday, August 16, 2013

Five Signs You May Be Raising A Mini-Liberal

Act #228: Don't forget, they're always watching.

Sometimes when you're up against the big, wide, world, you begin to doubt whether or not you are really impacting the values with which your child is growing up.  You find hidden action figures with little toy plastic guns - ones that you swore you already removed. Your six-year old declares one day that only boys can be mayors.  And you secretly lie awake at night wondering if your social-justice-fighting self has somehow failed miserably with your very own offspring. 

And then, like a shining ray of hope from the heavens, at the least expected moments, your kid utters the simplest, most profound words. 

And you know that he is listening.
And you know that he is watching. 
And you know that he is indeed transforming the world,
merely by seeing it through the very lens of love and possibility...
that you gave him the moment he was born.

1.  When I grow up I want to be a daddy.  Try as I might, I can't think of a job more noble.  

2.  Mama, you look so beautiful, just like Velma.  In case you're wondering, Velma is the SMART one on Scooby Doo.

3.  Someday I think I want to marry a girl and not a boy. I think.  Yes, son that choice is yours to make.  Take your time.

4.  He's a grown up, why can't he cook his own food?  I was thinking the same thing, actually.

5.  Can boys be in charge of fighting for justice too?  Of course they can. Anyone can.  We all should.


No comments:

Post a Comment