Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ask Your Husband For Sex, Change the World

Act #236:  Be vulnerable.

So I may be addicted to Ted Talks.  Just last night I asked my husband if one could completely transform their outlook on life buy watching a series of 18 minute videos.  I think I can.  Ted Talk by Dr. Brene Brown, research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work has been one of my most influential.  As part of her research, she asked people what made them feel vulnerable.  

Having to ask my husband for help because I'm sick, and we're newly married                                           

Initiating sex with my husband; being turned down

Asking someone out

Waiting for the doctor to call back

Getting laid off

Go ahead, take 20 minutes to discover the importance of  letting yourself be seen, deeply seen, vulnerably seen; to love with your whole heart, even though there's no guarantee.  And then go ahead an initiate sex with your husband.  You just might change the world.

The ability to feel connection is how we're wired.  It's why we're here.  In order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen.  Religion has gone from a belief in faith and mystery to certainty.  I’m right, you’re wrong.  Shut up. That’s it.  Just certain. The more afraid we are, the more vulnerable we are.  This is what politics look like today. There’s no discourse anymore.  There’s no conversation.  There’s just blame. 
 
- Dr. Brene Brown
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment