Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Eleven People Who Rekindled My Spirit

Act # 332:  Thank those who rekindle your spirit.  And then go out there and rekindle someone else's.

 

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
 
~ Albert Schweitzer 

Beyond the many mentors, family, and friends who I have been blessed with their guidance and support, there are a few individuals who (probably unknowing to them) have lit a spark in my soul at pivotal moments in my life.  People whose presence at particular points of my journey have truly inspired me to intentionally alter my path at that precise time.  Thank you for appearing at the right time, at the right place, and awakening my soul, rekindling my spirit.

Mr. Abram - My 10th grade Earth Sciences teacher at Albert Einstein High School in Kensington, Maryland.  He made me look in a mirror when I ran out of his class in tears one day after a classmate publicly taunted me for being Asian.

Kif Skidmore - My college roommate who pushed (and accompanied) her terrified, introverted brown friend to apply and interview to be on the campus activities board.  The first of a lifetime of challenges of varying degrees that I now feel comfortable facing and conquering - thanks to that first push.

Dr. Mike Rivage-Seul - My Religion/Historical Perspectives professor who taught me that maybe I had something worthwhile to say.

Adam Mullikin - My second (and current) husband who found me and ruined all my notions of remaining perpetually single.  

Donna McClanahan - My first and only reiki experience.  She literally ignited a light (blue, to be exact) inside of me that has since never gone out.

Collis Robinson - A former student who taught me that there are some things always worth fighting for.

Parker Palmer - A graduation speaker at Berea College two years ago who gave me (and the entire graduating class) permission to quit my job and seek the place where my deep gladness meets the world's deep needs.

Tammy Duckworth - Thai-American U.S. Representative in Illinois who I met at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.  She unknowingly gave me permission to dream.

Dorothy Edwards -  Founder of Green Dot who has made me believe that "I" can indeed take part in making culture change happen...in this lifetime!

bell hooks - For being brilliant, and eccentric, and accessible.

Will Bain - My local barista whose strength, journey, and story......and the love he continuously gives out to the universe....are an inspiration.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment