Thursday, November 7, 2013

8 Things We Can Learn From People Half Our Age

Act #311:  Be 20 again.

This week I had the privilege of participating in a number of college activities at my alma mater.  Earlier in the week I was one of five people interviewed for a senior theater major's documentary titled, "Kentucky Made Me".  Just last night, I was a guest at a "Lean In" book discussion that consisted of about 15 college seniors.  And tonight I will serve as a table host for an alumni-student career networking event.  I worked at a college for 9 years and up until this week, I had completely forgotten the undeniable energy that surrounds young people who have their whole lives ahead of them. 

I selfishly soaked it all up. 

And while various 20-year olds all curiously picked my brain, asked for advice and a glimpse into their futures, I was the one who walked away reminded of how utterly awesome it is to look at the world through a lens of possibility.

1.  It's OK not to have all the answers.

2.  .....or to know what you really want.

3.  But it's never OK to stop dreaming.

4.  To imagine how one's life might turn out is the perfect combination of sheer fear and sheer exuberance.  And both are necessary.

5.  That it can be liberating to eat copious amounts of pasta and sweet tea at 8 p.m. at night, guilt free.

6.  That it will be worth it to keep on pushing forward, despite your own worst enemy - yourself.  

7.  There is value in surrounding yourself not only with people who support you, but people who have the ability to make you laugh at 2 a.m., care enough about you to be brutally honest, and are crazy enough to think that you can do just about anything.

8.  There is an infinite amount of wisdom out there for you to absorb....in books, films, people, and life experiences.  Go out there and get some. 

Note: A Special thanks to Rochelle, Brittany, and Andrew for giving me 20 years of my life back this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment