Wednesday, November 20, 2013

How To Help Without Judgment

Act #323:  Help them without judgment.

Yesterday I spoke with a dear friend who has an adult niece.  This week, my friend is sending his niece a one-way ticket from the west coast, back to Kentucky.  For the second time.  Last year when he got the call, she was leaving him for good.  On average, a woman will leave an abusive relationship seven times before she leaves "for good." 

My friend knows that no one wants to be hurt, beaten or made to feel inferior. He knows that women often stay in abusive relationships because they have nowhere to go, for the children's sake, because they fear their abusers.  Statistics show that 75% of women who are killed by their batterers are murdered when they attempt to leave or after they have left an abusive relationship. 

So this week, my friend is sending his niece a one-way plane ticket for the second time. Hopefully it will be the last time - and his niece will be able to find safety and healing with her strong family support.  If not, I know my friend is prepared to send her a third. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment