Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Nine Reasons To Keep on Believing, To Keep on Running.

Act #106:  Everyone can be a hero. 

I haven't turned on the news.  I can only bring myself to listen to NPR's radio coverage, so I haven't seen any of the horrific images from yesterday's race.  I know that it's a privilege I have to be able to choose to turn off my television set, simply because I don't want to be haunted by images of suffering and loss. But like you, I also mourn.   I imagine the final moments and the face of the 8-year old boy cheering on his father at the finish line.  I pray for his mother who will have to bury her child later this week. I work with victims of violence daily and while it is days like these that I begin to question whether or not we even have a chance, I know deep in my soul that the good in the world outweighs our brokenness that drives us to also break others.  I can't really go on unless I continue to believe this.  We can't really go on unless we all continue to believe.  And if you're like me,  you may need a little reminder today...

Reason #1:  The man in the hat.  Carlos Arrendondo, who was near the finish line to support a runner who was dedicating the race to Arrendondo's son, a U.S. Marine killed in the Iraq war, rushed to the explosion site and began pulling debris off of victims to help make room for emergency personnel.

Reason #2:  Running into the smoke.  After the explosions, numerous runners ran towards the explosion instead of away from the scene.  Marathoners tore off their shirts to use as tourniquets on victims.  By-standers tore down barriers to come to the aid of victims.

Reason #3:  I have a place to offer. Thousands of people in the Boston area filled out an on-line Google document offering to help house and feed those displaced by the explosions.

Reason #4:  Before the smoke even cleared.  Following the first explosion, police officers, national guard members, doctors, and other first responders, both on and off duty, immediately rushed to the aid of screaming victims.

Reason #5:  They just kept running. Runners finishing the race ran straight to a nearby hospital in an attempt to donate blood.

Reason #6:  A need to fly.  Southwest Airlines and multiple other airlines waived fees for flight changes allowing marathon attendees to leave the city.  HopeMob, a crowdsourcing site pledged financial assistance to family members of victims in need of airfaire or other help.

Reason #7:  Pay only if you can.  Area restaurants, El Pelon Taqueria and Oleana provided warm meals to marathoners.  Nearby businesses offered respite with free wi-fi and cell phone charging.

Reason #8:  No rest for the weary.  In five hospitals in the Boston area, medical staff and emergency personnel worked around the clock, not returning home to their own families, in order to treat the onslaught of injured victims.

Reason #9:  You are the hero.
To give blood in the Boston-area,  http://www.redcrossblood.org/MA
To provide temporary lodging for those affected, https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r2dbf7q2sIiiQWynPNgH74qNeheNycTyk7hXue9AJhs/viewform
To provide information about the incident, call 1-800-494-TIPS.
To donate money for relief services, http://www.redcross.org/support/donating-fundraising/donations.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment