Saturday, September 28, 2013

Three Little Brown Boys (and One White One)

Act #271:  Be more childlike.

Yesterday I chaperoned my son's school field trip to an apple orchard, and therefore had the rare opportunity to observe 6 and 7 year old boys hunting for the world's largest apple, giggling because straw was "poking at their bottoms" on the tractor hayride, and pretending to be ghost pirates on a massive wooden pirate ship between the pumpkin patch and the apple orchards.  I tried to stand back and not interfere and couldn't help but notice that during the 3-hour outing, my son was surrounded primarily by 3 other boys.  Their make-up looked like this:

Boy #1:  Half-Thai, half-Caucasian (my son)
Boy #2:  Hispanic
Boy #3:  Half-African-American, half-Caucasian
Boy #4:  White (not just any white kid, this white kid, actually:  http://plainjaneactivism.blogspot.com/2013/09/my-kid-is-friends-with-owner-of-this.html

And as I sat on my hay bale in the shade (that did indeed poke at my bottom), on this picturesque fall day, I was uplifted and encouraged by this most beautiful sight of the four little boys before me.  Four little boys, care-free, color-blind, and who unbeknownst to them, are truly the very hope for our future.

 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this awesome. See, these are the reasons that I'll never ever lose hope. Love your posts as always my fellow Berean :)

    ReplyDelete