Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Cats Are Back And I'm Not Happy

Act #355:  Open your door (literally) to those in need.

18 years and 3 cats later, my last remaining feline friend, Poe, died this past summer.  Throughout my adult life, my cats have always provided unconditional companionship and free therapy for my soul.  While I loved all three of them greatly, I decided that, given our lifestyle and priorities, we would no longer seek future companionship in the form of cats.  And I feel a little guilty saying this, but I RELISHED in walking barefoot without stepping on rogue pieces of litter, waking up to a house without the fresh scent of cat poop,  and being able to wear black (again) and sit on my own couch.  It was a liberating 6 months.  I relieved the guilt by frequently visiting the tiny tree we planted in our backyard in Poe's honor. 

And then, these two showed up on my front door.  In 20 degree weather. 

So the past two weeks have been a whirlwind of calls to vets, animal shelters, petfinders, and cat rescuers, but as I type this, the black and white one has claimed a spot on my off-white couch and the calico one has knocked at least 3 ornaments off the tree in the last 10 minutes.  And I find these things completely and utterly adorable.  Stop.

Oh, trust me, I have resisted full force.  I deserved a fur-free house.  I deserved to travel without worrying about the survival of needy, furry critters.  By golly, I deserved to wear black again!  But then it occurred to me, that these cats probably deserve not to die in the cold.  They probably deserve not to starve, and maybe a little love and companionship would be nice.  And so here I was, on the verge of re-committing myself to a 20-year relationship of cuteness, purring, litter, hairballs, and a wardrobe void of black.  In other words, taking the good with the bad, and loving something, someONE, not for what they can do for you, but simply because everyone (even a couple of stray kittens) deserves to be loved.

Luckily, someone else figured that out as well.  I'm happy to report that at the end of January, Callie and Ziva will become "first" kittens.  Literally.  They are joining the home of Berea College's President and First Lady.  Nothing, I mean nothing, warms your heart like watching a 6 foot 5 College President talking baby talk, and rubbing the exposed belly of a purring kitten.  And thus, I get to remain self-centered, and fur-free.....as long as no other cold, starving, cute, furry beasts show up on my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment