Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ode to the Kindergarten Teacher

Act #150:  Thank an educator.

Today is my son's last official day of kindergarten and I wanted to take time out to thank his very first teacher, for the invaluable life lessons that she has imparted on my five-year old's impressionable mind.  He would be so lucky to cross paths with another such remarkable educator over the next twelve years of his schooling.

Life Lesson #1:  A true friend can make all the difference.
Thank you for the time you paired my son up with another child to give an oral presentation that he was very nervous about. 


Life Lesson #2:  Some things can't be taught in the classroom.
Thank you for your understanding when we pulled him out of class and offered him an alternative to the school's Disney Princesses on Ice field trip.


Life Lesson #3:  One person really can change the world.
Thank you for introducing him to Miss Rosa Parks.


Life Lesson #4:  Kindness always wins.
Thank you for caring about him enough to protect him from a bully.  Thank you more for caring about all children enough, and for not giving up on the bully.


Life Lesson #5: Learning lasts a lifetime.
Thank you for igniting a curiosity in him that was so natural,  he didn't even know he was learning.


Life Lesson #6:  Tell me and I'll forget.  Show me and I may remember.  Involve me and I'll understand. 
Thank you for creating opportunities for him to lead, teaching him how to follow, and helping him see the value in both.






No comments:

Post a Comment